Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Blog? ... Really??

"A Blog? ... Really?" - This is what I kept saying to myself every time the idea popped back up in my head. I've thought about starting one of these for a while now, but ultimately kept deciding against it. I usually would end up at arguments such as, "You're too long-winded...you are terrible at keeping things short & sweet." Or, "What do you really have to say that anyone would ever want to read about?" (That was usually the main argument, really). Well...I don't really have a legitimate counter to either of those, but I guess I finally came up with a few reasons to start "blogging" that outweighed the prior arguments.

1.  My Current Situation: 6 months ago, I started working from home. While the advantages of working from home significantly outweigh the disadvantages, it also means I have zero physical human interaction during my work day. On top of that, I have recently been through some very difficult life circumstances that have left me with endless hours of "alone time." Put this all together, and that means that on any given day I have very little to no human interaction. I feel like creating a blog will give me at least a sense that I'm "interacting" with people. (Don't worry...it doesn't make much sense to me either, but just go with it).

2.  Time to Think:  Based on my previously described situation, I have a lot of time to think. A lot of time. A lot of thinking. Sometimes it's profitable, sometimes it's dangerous, and sometimes it just turns into a giant pity party for myself. I feel like instead of continuously holding everything in every day, I should try & articulate some of my thoughts in this type of forum. This goes back to the "Will anyone even read this" question I keep asking myself. The answer: most likely not. But I have come to the conclusion that this will probably end up being more "therapeutic" for my sake, and if someone else somehow benefits from reading my thoughts one day, then that's pretty cool too.

3.  Transparency:  I really think this has almost become a bad word for Christ-followers. Church has sadly become a place where we show up and try for 1 day a week to convince everyone around us that we are "Super-Christians" and that we have it all together. I have reached a breaking point in my life where I just can't do that any longer. And if we were all honest with each other, and followed Galatians 6:2 (Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ), we would share our personal struggles with each other & experience true fellowship in the body of Christ as we encourage one another & hold each other up in prayer. This is what I really want this "blog" to be...me being transparent in my walk with Christ. I want to be honest, and I don't know - maybe encourage others to know that it's ok to struggle. It's ok to fail, to question God at times (that's not a typo)...it's ok to not "have it all together." But that's why we have this infinite safety net called grace that we can fall into & that's why we have an incredible Savior who picks us back up & reminds us- not to "try harder," but to look harder at Him.

So go ahead & start reading my posts ... or don't :)


1 comment:

  1. Josh,

    I'm looking forward to reading your journal entries. It is encouraging when we are able to be honest about the things that really matter in life. I feel that is exactly where David was when he was writing the Psalms. Thank you for being willing to share what is inside your heart.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete